SUMMARY OF SKILLS:
- Experienced in daily print, online and radio broadcast journalism.
- Reports stories associated with a number of beats and in formats ranging from live blogs to in-depth features.
- Dedicated to ethical, accurate and responsible reporting that fulfills the mission of journalism.
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, 2008. University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN; Concentration on in-depth reporting
- Bachelor of Arts in History, 2006. University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
Reporter, Minnesota Public Radio, Minneapolis, MN;
2012 to Present
- Reported daily news on beats ranging from crime to public health.
- Focused enterprise reporting on the opioid overdose epidemic and the state’s demographics.
- Pitched and co-hosted the podcast and reporting project 74 Seconds, which followed the aftermath of Philando Castile’s killing by a Minnesota police officer.
Editor/Reporter, Minnesota Independent, Minneapolis, MN;
- Edited reporters’ work and managed the daily workings of the site.
- Responsible for reporting on campaign finance, labor and politics in Minnesota with a focus on accountability journalism.
Editor, Southwest Minneapolis Patch, Minneapolis, MN;
2010 to 2011
- Orchestrated coverage of Southwest Minneapolis for a community journalism site that included politics, sports, community events and business.
- Used social networking tools to supplement the reporting and build dialogue with readers.
Freelance Reporter, Minneapolis, MN;
2009 to Present
- Cover politics for local publications like the Walker Art Center Magazine, Minnesota Independent, Politics in Minnesota and Capitol Report.
- Conducted an extensive oral history of Minnesota journalism that was funded by a grant from the Minnesota Historical Society.
Legislative Correspondent, American Consolidated Media/Mesabi Daily News, Virginia, MN;
2009 to 2010
- Reported on the Legislature and political issues on the Iron Range of Minnesota for a network of regional newspapers.
- Wrote about seven breaking news and in-depth stories on a variety of political topics each week.
Senior Projects Reporter, Minnesota Daily, Minneapolis, MN;
2007 to 2008
- Covered breaking news quickly, accurately and thoroughly in the communities surrounding the University of Minnesota.
- Formulated special projects; for example, an in-depth series, computer assisted reporting project or story based on investigative reporting.
Editor, Rhubarbarism.com, Minneapolis, MN;
2007 to Present
- Write news and analysis on local politics, music and culture in Minneapolis.
Editorial Intern, KFAI Radio, Minneapolis, MN;
- Wrote and produced stories on local issues, read hourly newscasts and assisted the newsroom.
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS AND RECOGNITION:
- Received a number of awards, including a regional Edward R. Murrow Award for coverage of the opioid overdose epidemic, as well as others recognizing breaking news and enterprise reporting.
- Former board member of the Minnesota Society of Professional Journalists and member of Investigative Reporters and Editors.